The NNGO Platform of Social Action has its origins in the process of dialogue initiated by 16 social entities with the Government on May 21st 1998.
Its objective: to avail of a favourable legislative framework, resources, management capacity and means for participation for the Third Sector.
The networking initiated at the time, settled the basis for the structure of the Platform. The following key dates are worth mentioning:
- March 16th 1999: Structuring of the dialogue table, which consisted of the NGO, representatives of the Government and of the Ministries for Labour and Social Affairs and Finance and Tax.
- March 1999 - April 2000: Approval by the Congress of the motion for modifications within the social Sector.
- May 18th 2000: Structuring of the NGO Social Action Platform.
- October 22nd 2003: Approval of the Strategic Plan of the Platform. Creation of committee, expansion and networking; institutional relationships; communication; financing; groups of the National Committee; new technologies; inclusion; employment; quality and autonomous development.
- February 25th 2004: Approval of the criteria for the integration of new members of the Platform.
- That same year the incorporation of four organisations is accorded:
- The Comisión Española de Ayuda al Refugiado (CEAR) / Spanish Refugee Aid Committee
- Médicos del Mundo (MDM) / Doctors of the World
- Unión de Asociaciones Familiares (UNAF) / Family Association Union (UNAF)
- The Fundación Secretariado Gitano (FSG) / Gipsy Secretariat Foundation.
- March 21st 2004: Integration of the Platform in CIVICUS.
- December 15th 2004: Membership in the World Pact.
- December 21st 2004: Signing of a collaboration agreement with the Taula d'entitats del Tercer Sector de Catalunya / Taula d’entitats of the Third Sector of Catalonia.
- February 17th 2005: The Platform promotes the creation of the Forum for Social Agents of the Third Sector.
- June 22nd 2005: The Consorcio de Entidades para la Acción Integral con Migrantes (CEPAIM) / the Consortium of Entities for Full Action with Migrants joins the Platform.
- December 14th 2005: A new member joins in, the Red Europea de Lucha contra la Pobreza y la Exclusión Social del Estado Español (EAPN-ES) / European Anti-Poverty Network and Social Exclusion in the Spanish Nation.
- April 2006: Membership as an observer in the European Social Platform.
- June 28th 2007: The Federación de Asociaciones de Scouts de España (ASDE) / Federation of Associations of Scouts of Spain, the Comité Español de Representantes de Personas con Discapacidad / Spanish Committee of Representatives of Disabled People (CERMI) and the Federación Didania / Didania Federation join the Platform.
- June 17th 2010: Approval of the criteria for the integration of new members of the Platform.
- Movimiento por la Paz el Desarme y la Liberación (MPDL).
- Coordinadora Estatal de Plataforma Sociales Salesianas.
- Liga Española de la Educación y la Cultura Popular.